Senior Backend Developer
BUX is a tech start-up that’s rockin’ the world of finance. We make the financial markets fun, exciting and accessible to everyone by gamifying it. Launched in September 2014 BUX has gained over 650,000 users already! After our successful launch in the UK and the Netherlands, followed by Germany, Austria, Italy and the Scandinavian region, BUX will be rolling out in Spain soon.
New BUXsters discover the world of trading by using our virtual currency funBUX. When ready, they can upgrade and start trading with real money on their seriousBUX account. The app (available on both iOS and Android) blends finance with social to support an extremely engaged community that uses the app 24/7.
The ideal candidate has a passion for the latest development technologies and enjoys working in a start-up environment. A broad interest in back-end technologies and iOS and Android is highly appreciated. This role reports to the CTO.
As a senior backend Developer at BUX you’ll be working in our very experienced team. The backend team is responsible for building and maintaining our robust, flexible and scalable platform. This platform consists of a multitude of services, including stock market trading, social activities and business intelligence (more than 10 different subsystems in total). Built on a reactive programming model it allows incredible flexibility and scaling.
Members of the team are challenged in various ways, be it in understanding the technical complexities of stock market trading, designing and programming a robust API for the mobile team or increasing the efficiency of the platform to deal with heavy concurrency. As BUX continues to grow, new challenges arise often for the backend team to tackle and motivate them. Developing at BUX means delivering systems, not software. This includes writing puppet scripts and deploying to our various environments.
Together with the rest of the team you will be responsible for designing and implementing new features on the BUX Platform. At BUX we include developers early on in the feature design process through workshops. We are looking for a Developer who understands the business and enjoys giving input to the product as well.
As we are a DevOps team we also have an on-call roster. There is a compensation scheme for when you are on-call.
Some examples of the technologies deployed today: Java8, Debian, Nginx, Tomcat, ElasticActors, Spring Framework, Jackson, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Cassandra, RabbitMQ, TheForeman, Puppet, RunDeck, github, TeamCity, artifactory
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Work closely with the Mobile Developers, Product and Design to create, maintain and operate the most robust, scalable and reliable back-end the world has ever seen
- Take part in the architecture designs sessions, development, integration testing and in all aspects of the software life-cycle
- Hands-on coding: Develop and maintain high quality code base, consistently delivering stable and maintainable projects on schedule
- Keep up-to-date with new or emerging technologies
- Adopt and improve software development best practices such as continuous integration, release early and often, refactoring, unit testing and code reviews
- Help grow the technical knowledge and skills of other developers
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 8+ years of Java (backend) Development
- Working knowledge of the Spring Framework
- Experience with Scrum
- Experience with DevOps tools and procedures
- Experience with building scalable (clustered) systems
- Experience with puppet, messaging systems and Elasticsearch is a pre
- Knowledge of reactive, actor based systems is a pre
WHAT WE OFFER
- An awesome role within a fast growing startup in a brand new office close to Amsterdam Central Station
- Ownership and responsibility; You will be empowered to make a difference and introduce your own ideas
- Competitive salary
- Bi-weekly Hackathons and fun company events
- Budget to attend conferences
- Fabulous and healthy company lunches
Interested? Send an e-mail plus your resume to email@example.com. If you know someone suitable, you’ll have a chance of earning 500 euros if we hire your referral!